Punctuality From UK Airports Have Been Recorded As The Best In 10 Years

Posted on August, 26 2014 by Blueway Limited

PunctualityPunctuality from UK airports has reached an all time high since records began back in 1992. In July 2014, the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) released figures that showed that 84% of scheduled flights landed ‘on-time’ between January and March 2014 – indicating an improvement of 6% compared to the previous period. ‘On-time’ does not mean arriving at the exact scheduled time of arrival. Technically, a flight is only considered as ‘on-time’ if it arrived within 15 minutes of the scheduled time of arrival. Any delay is then calculated as the difference between the scheduled gate arrival and the actual gate arrival.

Of the five biggest London airports Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Luton and London City saw an overall increase of 8% for on-time flights (as a proportion of total scheduled flights), showing an increase from 76% to 84%. This is a vast improvement. The increase was not just seen in London, asa six percent rise from 81% to 87% was also found at Manchester, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Glasgow and Newcastle Airports. This shows that all across the UK there has been a maintained level of punctuality and all major airports are abiding by these high standards. Individually, each airport saw an improvement in punctuality, but the biggest enhancement was seen at Newcastle airport as it rose by a staggering 9%.

In terms of flight delays and disruptions, the average delay in the UK was just nine minutes. This was calculated from all monitored scheduled flights. When compared to the last quarter of 2013, it shows an improvement of four minutes. The study looked at 75 international destinations, to calculate which airports had the highest and lowest on-time performance and which airports had the highest and lowest average delay. It was found that Rotterdam, Netherlands had the highest on-time performance with 91.7% of flights arriving/departing on-time. Whereas flights to and from Dubai achieved the lowest on-time performance of just 63.4%. When looking at average delay, Delhi had the highest average delay of 28.3 minutes. This is extremely high for flights arriving/departing Delhi. The lowest average delay was for flights arriving/departing Hannover, Germany with an average delay of just 5.1 minutes.

According to EC Regulation 261/2004 a passenger is entitled to claim flight delay compensation if they arrive at least 3 hours later than scheduled. The airline has to be fully responsible for the delay, for example if an extraordinary circumstance occurs such as bad weather then airlines are not legally obliged to pay any compensation to passengers. However, airlines do try to push the blame onto extraordinary circumstances when really they are responsible. This is why it is always recommended to seek the assistance of a flight delay refunds company such as Blueway Limited. Companies such as Blueway deal with compensation claims on a daily basis and so their team of professionals will be able to identify whether you have a valid claim or not. Blueway will be able to check through their flight databases and historical weather systems to rule out any extraordinary circumstances. If your claim is valid, Blueway will also be able to manage your compensation claim from start to finish and will even be able to represent you in court. Don’t delay, contact Blueway today!

Comments are closed.