blog-bg

The Huzar v Jet2.com Of Appeal Hearing

Posted on May, 14 2014 by Blueway Limited

The battle between airline companies and passengers has been ongoing for years now, without much speculation. Some cases win, some cases lose. It all depends on the circumstances. In the past, airlines have managed to get away with rejecting legitimate claims by blaming the flight delay on extraordinary circumstances or technical problems. One case in particular has recently been brought to the public’s attention as it could create a domino effect for a huge number of people claiming for flight delays due to technical issues. This case is known as the Huzar case, it involves a passenger Mr Ronald Huzar who was flying from Manchester to Malaga in 2011 when his Jet2.com flight was delayed 27 hours. Mr Huzar took Jet2.com to court in 2013, but the court hearing was unsuccessful as Jet2.com didn’t have to pay any compensation to Mr Huzar. It was said that the delay was due to an “Extraordinary Circumstance” – it was out of the airlines control. Extraordinary circumstances typically relate to severe weather conditions or political unrest that obstructs an aircraft from flying. It was found that the real reason for the 27-hour delay was because of an unforeseen technical problem. The purpose of this court hearing, and the reason why it has attracted so much attention is because of the Huzar case wins in court then it will rule out technical problems as an extraordinary circumstance and could potentially cost airlines billions. Even though the law is very black and white, loopholes still exist that are allowing airlines to work their way out of cases like these. The appeal hearing has been set for the 22nd and 23rd of May, based on the outcome it should hopefully iron out the kinks in the UK court system, to create a much smoother process for UK passengers that wish to claim delayed flight refunds.

Some airlines do in fact comply to European Regulations and are generally very cooperative when it comes to flight delay compensation. British Airways for example have a very repairable name. Martin Lewis recently conducted an online poll of over 3,000 people in order to calculate an estimate of the best and worst airlines when it comes to paying compensation for late flights or for heavily delayed flights. Funnily enough, it was found that Jet2 was the worst airline out of the entire poll for paying delayed flight refunds. Jet2 was found to have only paid 2% of claims made against them, rejecting the remaining 98%. These shocking figures make Jet2 the worst offender. Thomson and Ryanair were not too far behind, with Thomson only paying 8% of claims and Ryanair just 10%. The rules are getting stricter and more and more cases are winning in court. Flight delay refunds companies such as Blueway Limited Flight Delay Refunds play a major part in the claims process, assisting their customers to receive the compensation that they deserve.

Comments are closed.